Thursday, August 27, 2009

"Workin' nine to five to find a job..."



















I'm back on the dole.

But, it's okay. Sometimes, the grass isn't greener after all, and it is best to go in your separate ways. My work does not define who I am - my wife does (Thank you, I will be here all week - remember to tip your waitress).

Today, I went to the unemployment office to sign up for my benefits - that is one tough place for the soul. Looking around, there was a palpable sense of sadness, frustration, and impatience. A well-dressed woman that sat across from me looked like she would burst into tears at any second - she just stared into space until she was called. Quite a few people came in that were not native English speakers - I'm not quite sure they entirely grasped what was going on. One unfortunate Asian couple came from Elgin (?!) for some reason and could not understand that there was an office in Elgin and they had to go there instead. Others came in complaining about not getting their benefits for some legalese reasoning - you could just tell they desperately needed this money to keep going day-to-day.

On the (very small) bright side, one nice and simple touch was that we were given restaurant-style buzzers to mark our place in the queue, instead of a deli-style paper stub with a number on it. That way, we could immerse ourselves in a book or Sudoku puzzle instead of constantly checking the overhead display like a DMV Keno game.

I have to give the workers credit - unlike the DMV or Social Security office (yeah, I've been there, too - don't ask...), they greeted everyone with a genuine smile and greeting. I can't imagine how it must be to work there - meeting applicants who all feel like they have been knocked down a few rungs and are probably bitter and frustrated to even be at the unemployment office. No matter what they call it to make it sound more palatable - "Illinois Department of Employment Services" - it still means you are out of a job, and most probably against your will.

Now I am slowly getting back out there: networking, checking job websites, tailoring cover letters and resumes, etc. It's a little embarrassing to tell people I'm out of work - after all, it was only a short while ago when I announced I had a great new job lined up. But, I guess with this economy, it is not uncommon. Companies need more than ever to be nimble and lean to stay in the black. I am not remorseful, however, that I jumped at the chance. Sometimes, you have to break out of your comfort zone and go after your dreams.

I've got to develop a routine - make it my daily job to find a job. Going to the library will help - leaving the house will help me stay focused and on some sort of a schedule. They have free Wi-Fi, so I won't catch H1N1 from the shared computer keyboards, and there is even a coffee shop there.

But don't worry about me, I have a Plan B.
If nothing turns up by November or so, I will create the "Find Greg a Job 5K Run and Walk" or perhaps the ever-popular "Help Me Pay the Mortgage Spaghetti Dinner and Silent Auction"...

No comments:

Post a Comment